Friday, November 18, 2011

Scammed?

http://scrippsnews.com/content/parents-cant-prevent-theft-dead-childrens-id

We got a letter from the IRS today saying that someone else tried to claim one of our dependents on their tax return. This issue had come up around the time we had filed our return; however, we kind of assumed it was Nick's mom because of the negative history we had with her. Never did I figure it would be someone stealing the identity of our dead baby and exploiting his death for their own personal gain. I guess this makes me naive. I don't know. We don't have enough to deal with, worry about, remind us, struggle with? The above article discusses some of the challenges that exist currently. There are some more recent articles about some things Congress is trying to do. But in the meantime, on a personal level, we have to spend the time proving to the IRS that we had the right to claim Cam on our taxes. Really? Because that's how I want to spend my time...

1 comment:

  1. That is beyond disgusting! I am so sorry this has happened to you guys & YOU have to prove YOU had a right to claim him? How about they ask whoever the monster is that did this! Of course they would not be able to! I hope they are caught & punished to the fullest extent!

    ReplyDelete